Search This Blog

Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July

Happy 4th of July, everyone! This is a public service message: Please be good to your Metro officers, this is the worst day of the year for them. Go easy on them.

Also, Track Twenty-Nine reminds us that DC is still missing out politically, with some great examples of why DC should get more voting rights.

Most importantly, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, thank the troops today, no matter what your stance on any war might be. Most soldiers put politics aside when they lace up their boots. All any of them want is the best for America. I've been spending a lot of time in Silver Spring, Bethesda, and Petworth, and the disabled soldiers from Walter Reed and Bethesda Naval Med Center are all over the place. I always buy them a drink or at least express my gratitude for their service. In a time where what they do tends to be broken down into just another piece of campaign propaganda, I humbly request that one this day we take a bit of pride in what they do. We're lucky to have so many soldiers around this area, let's honor their sacrifices. I believe it was George Orwell who said the people of America sleep well in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do harm on their behalf. Or something like that.

Happy 4th. Be safe.

No comments: